One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who attempts to make people involved in a conflict come to an agreement; a go-between.‘the government appointed a mediator to assist in finding a resolution to the dispute’
arbitrator, arbiter, negotiator, conciliator, go-between, middleman, intermediary, moderator, intervenor, interceder, intercessor, reconciler, broker, honest broker, liaison officer, peacemaker, umpire, referee, adjudicator, judgeView synonyms
- ‘Calcium ions as mediators of intracellular signalling are crucial for development of apoptosis.’
- ‘He'd used a mediator to negotiate over a period of several weeks to try and get better terms.’
- ‘If this is not successful, an independent mediator is chosen to negotiate a settlement.’
- ‘The mediators had a tall order bringing together parties with fixed and opposing goals.’
- ‘Judges who leave the bench in any state can go into practice as private mediators or arbitrators.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.