One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of an Iranian people who inhabited ancient Media, establishing an extensive empire during the 7th century BC, which was conquered by Cyrus the Great of Persia in 550 BC.
- ‘The founder of the Persian Empire, Cyrus, in finding the Medes soft as a result of a long period of peace, defeated them and established an empire.’
- ‘The Medes and the Babylonians divided their power, and were themselves swallowed up in the monarchy of the Persians, whose arms could not be confined within the narrow limits of Asia.’
- ‘And Darius the Mede took the kingdom, being about three score and two years old.’
- ‘Like most of the Assyrian cities, Ashur was sacked in 612 BC when the ferocious and warlike Assyrians were finally overwhelmed by the combined forces of Babylonians and Medes.’
- ‘During the reign of the Medes, the Iranians adopted the Babylon Cuneiform symbols and later they created the Avesta and Pahlavi scripts using Arami scripts.’
From Latin Medi, Greek Mēdoi, plural forms.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.