One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An athlete or other person awarded a medal.‘an Olympic gold medalist’
winner, champion, conqueror, vanquisher, conquering hero, heroView synonyms
- ‘Waterloo, as defending champions, ended up 11 shots behind Queen's, the gold medallists with a 314 total.’
- ‘They've announced mega cash awards for medallists.’
- ‘Australia play rivals New Zealand while the Americans, two-times defending gold medallists, tip off against Greece.’
- ‘Many celebrated and professional athletes, world champions and Olympic medallists have touted that a vegetarian diet can provide all the nutrients.’
- ‘The boxer, along with the Athens gold medallists, will be meeting the Prime Minister next Tuesday.’
- ‘Olympic hopefuls for the 2004 games as well as the current Olympic Gold medallists will be taking part.’
- ‘The Americans had been gold medallists in every Olympics since 1992 when NBA players started competing in the Games.’
- ‘Jessica was presented with her award by Olympic gold medallist Tim Foster at a ceremony in London.’
- ‘She was there again last Wednesday but, when you are a World Athletics Championship silver medallist, it is easy to go back.’
- ‘Gold medallist is used to refer to any athlete who has taken first place.’
- ‘Several of Scotland's gold medallists turned into ambassadors, expressing how much they'd like the Games to come to Scotland in eight years.’
- ‘They're both Olympic gold medallists and they both grew up skiing Red.’
- ‘A delegation of Chinese Olympic gold medallists are to visit Hong Kong on Monday at the start of a three-day visit.’
- ‘Among the Olympic gold medallists taking part are Australian swimmer Ian Thorpe and English triple jumper Jonathan Edwards.’
- ‘He only lost to the gold medallist, but had a couple of close contest wins which put him fifth on points count back.’
- ‘We have had gold medallists if not galore, then aplenty, so let's consult them.’
- ‘As usual, a couple of gold medallists will pop up unexpectedly.’
- ‘Of all the athletes and gold medallists who came back from the Games, Amir has had the highest profile.’
- ‘The 2002 World Champion gold medallists advanced with the fastest time from the first semi-final.’
- ‘The youngest female athletics gold medallist was also American.’
2An engraver or designer of medals.
- ‘He is a German sculptor, medallist, cabinetmaker, and designer, active in Nuremberg.’
- ‘There was a consistency in the quality of workmanship and in design that, coupled with the firm's position as royal goldsmiths, jewelers, and medalists, ensured that their position was unassailable.’
- ‘It was designed by a professional medalist named John Woodhouse Jnr and struck by West & Co of Belfast.’
3The lowest scorer in a qualifying round of a golf tournament.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.