One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small Japanese freshwater fish of variable color that is bred for aquariums and also extensively studied in the sciences.
Oryzias latipes, family Adrianichthyidae
- ‘This estimate is similar to the value of tilapia, medaka, and Japanese flounder.’
- ‘Genetic linkage maps have been developed for a number of fish species, including zebra fish, medaka, catfish, rainbow trout, Atlantic salmon, and Lake Malawi cichlids.’
- ‘In the medaka, cortisol treatment increased the ability of acid-exposed fish to maintain plasma sodium levels.’
- ‘The Japanese medaka were purchased from a biological supply company.’
- ‘Such a lack of uniformity has been reported in medaka and zebrafish.’
Early 20th century: from Japanese me(y) ‘eye’ + -daka ‘high’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.