Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small Japanese freshwater fish of variable color that is bred for aquariums and also extensively studied in the sciences.
- ‘In the medaka, cortisol treatment increased the ability of acid-exposed fish to maintain plasma sodium levels.’
- ‘The Japanese medaka were purchased from a biological supply company.’
- ‘Such a lack of uniformity has been reported in medaka and zebrafish.’
- ‘Genetic linkage maps have been developed for a number of fish species, including zebra fish, medaka, catfish, rainbow trout, Atlantic salmon, and Lake Malawi cichlids.’
- ‘This estimate is similar to the value of tilapia, medaka, and Japanese flounder.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.