Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The process by which mechanical stimuli are translated into neuronal impulses. It is the physiological basis for sense experiences such as touch, hearing, and balance.
- ‘The interpretation of this observation was that the periplasmic loop had been proteolysed, that its integrity was not essential for mechanosensation, but that its cleavage enhanced mechanosensitivity.’
- ‘In prokaryotes, mechanosensation is apparently limited to the detection of osmotic forces manifested as intracellular turgor pressure.’
- ‘Blount and co-workers have recently detected a four amino acid motif NxxD in the TM1 helix and have speculated that it could represent a sensor in mechanosensation.’
- ‘MscL is currently the best-studied MS channel and it has become a model system for the study of mechanosensation.’
- ‘All of the senses in the ear, as well as the lateral line system of fish, are based on mechanosensation: the detection of physical displacement.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.