One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The process by which mechanical stimuli are translated into neuronal impulses. It is the physiological basis for sense experiences such as touch, hearing, and balance.
- ‘Blount and co-workers have recently detected a four amino acid motif NxxD in the TM1 helix and have speculated that it could represent a sensor in mechanosensation.’
- ‘In prokaryotes, mechanosensation is apparently limited to the detection of osmotic forces manifested as intracellular turgor pressure.’
- ‘MscL is currently the best-studied MS channel and it has become a model system for the study of mechanosensation.’
- ‘All of the senses in the ear, as well as the lateral line system of fish, are based on mechanosensation: the detection of physical displacement.’
- ‘The interpretation of this observation was that the periplasmic loop had been proteolysed, that its integrity was not essential for mechanosensation, but that its cleavage enhanced mechanosensitivity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.