One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who believes in the doctrine of mechanism.
- ‘Newton was no mechanist and didn't see the universe as a smooth-running machine.’
- ‘For Descartes, and other mechanists who followed after him, the healthy body was nothing more than a well-functioning machine, soulless and subject to chemical and mechanical remedies.’
- ‘Although, unlike most of his fashionable contemporaries and immediate successors, Descartes was not an atomist, he was, like the others, a mechanist about the properties of matter.’
- ‘It was as alien to the Greeks as it was commonplace to the mechanists that one should seek to interfere with nature.’
- ‘But in the second half of the century both neoplatonists and mechanists usually promoted more practical projects.’
2archaic A person skilled in the design or construction of machinery.
- ‘Huygens was the greatest mechanist of the seventeenth century.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.