One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A scale drawing of a mechanical or architectural structure done with precision instruments.
- ‘Games went over detailed mechanical drawings with him, covering every detail of the design.’
- ‘Later, Leonardo da Vinci, who left a legacy of scientific and medical illustrations and mechanical drawings, may have been the first artist-engineer.’
- ‘The first step in the production was the artist's or architect's sketch, which was then converted into a carefully rendered mechanical drawing.’
- ‘Educate yourself about construction if you're an architectural drafter, or manufacturing if you do mechanical drawings.’
- ‘Eakins once wrote that putting a boat such as this in perspective, getting the tilt and proportions exactly right, could be done more effectively from a mechanical drawing of the boat and a perspective diagram than from life study.’
- ‘Microsoft rolled out their Tilt Wheel Technology with a raft of press releases, mechanical drawings and other fluff.’
- ‘As well there was a mechanical drawing of the roof for the placing of equipment which again did not show drains or slopes.’
- 1.1 The action or process of making mechanical drawings.
- ‘These techniques were generalised into a system called géométrie descriptive, which is now known as orthographic projection, the graphical method used in modern mechanical drawing.’
- ‘In mechanical drawing, your drawings were supposed to be neat, but mine were always smudged and erased, like a little kid's.’
- ‘He was also very interested in mechanical drawing and excelled at the drafting board.’
- ‘He trained her in mechanical drawing, instilling in her a love of draftsmanly precision, and sent her to art school when this was an unusual privilege for young women.’
- ‘All of this attention to flight caused Herring to drop from a B-average student his first year in school to Ds in math and mechanical drawing.’
- ‘Eakins taught perspective, mechanical drawing, and isometric drawing to his students at the Pennsylvania Academy using a manual that he wrote for the purpose but never published.’
- ‘Another point of reference is from the traditional vocabulary of mechanical drawing.’
- ‘They shared interests in mechanical drawing and carpentry; their favourite school subject had been math, their least favourite, spelling.’
- ‘This is partly accidental (Sacco studied mechanical drawing in school and says that he draws buildings and vehicles more easily than people) and partly the result of a reportorial passion for accuracy.’
- ‘We've been waiting three years for the department to sanction our application for an extension that would allow us to offer practical subjects like woodwork and mechanical drawing.’
- ‘He requested a Walkman for his son, as well as a set of pencils of various degrees of hardness for Oleg to use for mechanical drawing.’
- ‘Earl Steenrod taught mechanical drawing but had astronomy as a hobby and he interested Norman in this exciting subject while he was still a young boy.’
- ‘Sandeep specialises in mechanical drawing and drafting.’
- ‘They also sought blue-collar workers who could decipher manuals, who knew algebra, and who had a mastery of mechanical drawing and a familiarity with chemical and electrical fundamentals.’
mechanical drawing/məˌkanək(ə)l ˈdroiNG/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.