One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ratio of the force produced by a machine to the force applied to it, used in assessing the performance of a machine.
- ‘So I ended up giving a lesson on pulleys and mechanical advantage.’
- ‘The mechanical advantage of a system is defined as the ratio of the outforce to the inforce.’
- ‘Cables, which maximize isolation, compromise power contractions through the mechanical advantage of their pulley system.’
- ‘The increased mechanical advantage of the connecting rod mitigates the power loss.’
- ‘We need the mechanical advantage, or torque multiplication, that gearing provides in order to move the mass of our vehicles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.