Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ratio of the force produced by a machine to the force applied to it, used in assessing the performance of a machine.
- ‘The increased mechanical advantage of the connecting rod mitigates the power loss.’
- ‘So I ended up giving a lesson on pulleys and mechanical advantage.’
- ‘The mechanical advantage of a system is defined as the ratio of the outforce to the inforce.’
- ‘We need the mechanical advantage, or torque multiplication, that gearing provides in order to move the mass of our vehicles.’
- ‘Cables, which maximize isolation, compromise power contractions through the mechanical advantage of their pulley system.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.