The ratio of the force produced by a machine to the force applied to it, used in assessing the performance of a machine.
- ‘We need the mechanical advantage, or torque multiplication, that gearing provides in order to move the mass of our vehicles.’
- ‘Cables, which maximize isolation, compromise power contractions through the mechanical advantage of their pulley system.’
- ‘The mechanical advantage of a system is defined as the ratio of the outforce to the inforce.’
- ‘So I ended up giving a lesson on pulleys and mechanical advantage.’
- ‘The increased mechanical advantage of the connecting rod mitigates the power loss.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.