One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Ordinary but fundamental things; basic ingredients.‘the club's meat and potatoes remains blues performers’
- ‘The whole point of the exercise, of course, is to get to the meat and potatoes of the tale: The war between man and machine.’
- ‘Of course, the meat and potatoes of the game are its many quests and the often-connected spells that Harry acquires as a result.’
- ‘Nearly half the movie transpires before we get to the meat and potatoes of the gunplay.’
- ‘Of course the real meat and potatoes here is the gameplay.’
- ‘Before getting into the meat and potatoes of the story, I should explain a little about myself.’
- ‘The meat and potatoes of any platforming game, the game's puzzles, are fairly standard when compared to other games.’
- ‘In other words, skip through the bits to get to the meat and potatoes of this disc: the interview segments.’
- ‘So now, we get down to the meat and potatoes of his problem.’
- ‘An article like the one you are reading is the meat and potatoes of blogs.’
- ‘These ideas, along with more overt forms of discrimination, are the meat and potatoes of this film.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.