One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Ordinary but fundamental things; basic ingredients.‘the club's meat and potatoes remains blues performers’
- ‘The meat and potatoes of any platforming game, the game's puzzles, are fairly standard when compared to other games.’
- ‘The whole point of the exercise, of course, is to get to the meat and potatoes of the tale: The war between man and machine.’
- ‘These ideas, along with more overt forms of discrimination, are the meat and potatoes of this film.’
- ‘Before getting into the meat and potatoes of the story, I should explain a little about myself.’
- ‘In other words, skip through the bits to get to the meat and potatoes of this disc: the interview segments.’
- ‘Of course, the meat and potatoes of the game are its many quests and the often-connected spells that Harry acquires as a result.’
- ‘So now, we get down to the meat and potatoes of his problem.’
- ‘Of course the real meat and potatoes here is the gameplay.’
- ‘Nearly half the movie transpires before we get to the meat and potatoes of the gunplay.’
- ‘An article like the one you are reading is the meat and potatoes of blogs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.