Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Feeding on other animals; carnivorous.‘a group of large meat-eating dinosaurs’
meat-eating, flesh-eating, predatory, of prey, hunting, raptorialView synonyms
- ‘A set of prehistoric footprints, said to show meat-eating dinosaurs hunting vegetarian dinos, has just been recreated in a detailed 3-D model.’
- ‘It had leaf-shaped teeth designed for shredding plants rather than the triangular, blade-like serrated teeth of its meat-eating relatives.’
- ‘The Tasmanian Devil is the largest meat-eating marsupial existing today.’
- ‘New scientific techniques which allow analysis of bone chemistry have shown that pre-historic man was not the solely meat-eating savage he is often portrayed.’
- ‘The most ferocious biters among mammals aren't lions, tigers, or wolves, but meat-eating marsupials, a new study says.’
- ‘The star of the exhibition is Fuzzy Raptor, a meat-eating dinosaur covered in small, delicate feathers.’
- ‘Two new 250-million-year-old species of large, meat-eating amphibians have been discovered by researchers.’
- ‘The discovery of a giant meat-eating dinosaur sporting a downy coat has some scientists reimagining the look of Tyrannosaurus rex.’
- ‘Sifting through the collection, they separated out the bones of a theropod, or meat-eating dinosaur.’
- ‘He caught the meat-eating South American fish while angling near Mechelen, in northern Belgium.’
- ‘The small meat-eating dinosaur lived in North America during the Late Triassic period 228 to 208 million years ago.’
- 1.1 Eating meat as part of one's diet.‘he will go with meat-eating friends to a steakhouse and order a salad’
- ‘We have a vegetarian and a meat-eating household, so we have vegetarian options.’
- ‘He caters to my vegetarian needs, as well as making fabulous recommendations for my fish and meat eating friends.’
- ‘In the early 21st century, the biggest meat-eating countries were Luxembourg, the United States, Australia, New Zealand and Spain.’
- ‘One way of changing meat-eating habits for the better could be a return to the independent high-street butcher.’
- ‘My own meat-eating habits changed irrevocably after a stint undercover in a chicken factory.’
- ‘Your meat-eating friends won't even know it's vegan!’
- ‘This recipe got a great review from my meat-eating family.’
- ‘The vast majority of meat-eating people rely upon the ranchers, farmers, etc. to do the actual killing of the animals.’
- ‘I didn't know how well my meat-eating, preponderantly male family would take to an all-veggie sandwich.’
- ‘I mixed and matched and came up with something my meat eating family devoured.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.