One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The office of mayor.‘the party failed to win the mayoralty’
- ‘Under the amendment, the 309 mayoralties of townships and county municipalities would become appointed positions and part of the bureaucracy under county and provincial municipal governments.’
- ‘His deeper political reason for calling lay in his design to become a candidate for the mayoralty position in Oakland, California.’
- ‘While they guarantee all of the top jobs - including the mayoralty - to members of certain political parties, equally they deny others the signal honour of wearing the chain of office.’
- ‘For one thing, those close to him insist he wants no part of Toronto's mayoralty.’
- ‘In 1936, Wick mounted an odd campaign for Portland's mayoralty.’
- ‘Positions such as mayoralties are not the property of certain parties to be carved up between them; they're the property of the people.’
- ‘The current proposal is for a dedicated tax to be added to the already-bloated cost of London's mayoralty.’
- ‘If none of the councillors win the mayoralty then three will go.’
- ‘The Taipei mayoralty has always been a springboard for higher political office.’
- ‘Throwing him out of the party tore London Labour apart, cost us the mayoralty and on the positive side, showed what the limits were for the left.’
- ‘He wanted the newly powerful mayoralty that Fitzgerald had.’
- ‘They would all willingly forfeit any hope to win the mayoralty rather than make such a class appeal.’
- ‘This battle between mayoralty and state legislature would rise again as future Irish mayors struggled to affirm their power as Boston's chief executive.’
- ‘The public input portion of Monday's debate kicked off with criticism from two failed mayoralty candidates who ran for office in November's election.’
- 1.1 A mayor's period of office.
- ‘Your mayoralty has been from start ‘till now a disaster in the making.’
- ‘He purchased entrance to the franchise in 1350, at the beginning of Robert's first mayoralty.’
- ‘The city added 430,000 new jobs during his mayoralty - Gotham's greatest job growth ever.’
Late Middle English: from Old French mairalte, from maire (see mayor).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.