One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
perhaps, maybe, it could be, it may be, it is possible, it is conceivable, for all one knows, feasibly, very likelyView synonyms
- ‘I hope sincerely that you will come, and mayhap if possible bring the boy too.’
- ‘Perhaps I have, or mayhap I have just become used to my surroundings and not so much changed as adapted.’
- ‘They sensed something she could not, saw something in the air mayhap, or some event fast approaching, and they screamed and hollered and shouted their base insults in an attempt to crack her mental walls like so many fragile eggshells.’
- ‘It could have been a streak of luck, or, mayhap, something more that caused such a strange happening, but everyone will be glad that everything will be set in the right way.’
- ‘Bookshelves filled the place; a round table carved from mahogany was at the center and the desk stood near the window, mayhap to give the Prince a better view.’
Mid 16th century: from it may hap.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.