One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A name given to several plants that bloom in May, especially certain hepaticas and anemones and the trailing arbutus.
- ‘Mint, lemon balm, pennyroyal, chives, chamomile, mayflower, and summer savory are a few herbs perfectly suited to this microclimate.’
- ‘In the damp fields surrounding the streams I found cowslip, self heal and mayflower.’
- ‘Yet another old name for the mayflower was bog flower and this is a very accurate description but mayflower is still the most accurate and I will therefore stick to this name.’
- ‘On May Day we picked a May Queen and carried her around the school on a throne decorated with yellow mayflowers.’
- ‘Despite a gloomy weather forecast, the sun shone, and the very long, winding, narrow lanes festooned with mayflower like bridal veils were negotiated without meeting any traffic coming the other way.’
The ship in which the Pilgrims sailed from England to America in 1620.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.