Relating to the jaws and face.‘maxillofacial surgery’
- ‘An 85 year old woman was referred to the department of maxillofacial surgery by her general dental practitioner with a three week history of sore throat.’
- ‘Plastic surgery, general surgery or maxillofacial surgery may be necessary for deep wounds or those requiring significant debridement and closure.’
- ‘I embarked on medical training in 1961 as a mature student with two years of general dental practice and three years of hospital oral surgery and maxillofacial trauma behind me.’
- ‘Bioabsorbable technology is a revolution that has set new standards in maxillofacial surgery.’
- ‘Thermoplastic syntactic foam could be used to repair bone defects, provide prostheses for maxillofacial reconstruction, serve as intervertebral spacers, and be used to fabricate orthopedic and other implants.’
Late 19th century: from maxillo- (combining form of Latin maxilla jaw) + facial.