(in crustaceans) an appendage modified for feeding, situated in pairs behind the maxillae.
- ‘From left to right appendages are: antennule, antenna, mandible, first and second maxillae, first through fifth maxillipeds, 3 walking legs, 5 pleopods with pinkish gills, and uropod.’
- ‘Only a few parts of the carapace produce the polarization, mainly the antennal scales, maxillipeds, and uropod scales.’
- ‘The anterior one to three thoracic appendages are modified into maxillipeds, which are used in feeding.’
- ‘In contrast, arthropods such as the lobster possess distinct maxillipeds, pereopods, pleopods, and uropod.’
- ‘In addition, the buccal frame and maxillipeds appear to be significantly shorter.’
Mid 19th century: from maxilla + Latin pes, ped- foot.