Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Of or attached to a jaw or jawbone, especially the upper jaw.‘a maxillary fracture’‘maxillary teeth’
- ‘The inferior turbinate was incised, and a bulging tumor in the right maxillary sinus was taken out piecemeal through the maxillary sinus ostium.’
- ‘The upper dentition, based on socket size, is slightly heterodont, with smaller premaxillary teeth and larger maxillary teeth.’
- ‘The teeth most often missing are the third molars, second premolars, and maxillary lateral incisors, and other teeth may be reduced in size.’
- ‘The two frontal sinuses are just above the eyebrows, the two maxillary sinuses by the cheekbones and the two ethmoidal sinuses are between the nasal cavity and the eye sockets, and drain into the middle of the nose.’
- ‘Regarding the marked size decrease of maxillary to premaxillary teeth, it seems likely that relative size of the teeth is allometrically and ontogenetically controlled.’
- 1.1Relating to the maxillae of an arthropod.
- ‘In the fruit fly they are located on the antennae and the maxillary palp, an appendage near the fly mouth.’
- ‘It is visible in the third antennal segment, but not the maxillary palps or larval chemosensory organs.’
- ‘Labial and maxillary palps are transformed to legs (arrows).’
- ‘These hybridization results show that the gene is expressed in two olfactory organs: the third antennal segment and the maxillary palp.’
- ‘Widespread deposition of Scrib was also detected in the antennae and maxillary palps (data not shown).’
Early 17th century: from maxilla, probably suggested by Latin maxillaris.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.