Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The action of animals coming together to breed; copulation.‘ovulation occurs only if mating has taken place’
- ‘In the first part of the study, we investigated size-dependent mating in the field.’
- ‘It only needs just a small number to survive for the mating to be a success.’
- ‘In one specific example, mating in yeast, cell-cell communication is mediated by secreted peptide pheromones that stimulate physiological responses leading to mating.’
- ‘If a mating failed to occur within 10 min, we replaced the male.’
- ‘Mating can take place either in water or on land.’
- ‘Worldwide, not many areas exist where shark mating can be observed.’
- ‘Mature virgin females are highly receptive to mating.’
- ‘Mating in many animals increases predation risk, and courtship is often performed near where mating will occur.’
- ‘The methodology is applicable to the investigation of parentage for all progeny developed from parental mating without subsequent generations of inbreeding.’
- ‘The cameras were triggered automatically by any movement in the vicinity of the bower, where all courtship and mating take place.’
- ‘Nevertheless, with random mating among sexually produced gametes, selection on a modifier of sex is very weak.’
- ‘At several points during the mating, the female appeared to be trying to break free.’
- ‘The second male was always placed with the female on the day that the first mating had occurred.’
- ‘In this situation the cost of mating for the female is essentially the cost of a (forced) copulation.’
- ‘Here, males maintained a constant sperm number irrespective of whether a mating involved one, two, or three males.’
- ‘The frequency of mating, researchers speculate, is meant to stimulate egg release in the female.’
- ‘Matings were usually performed at 23°; males produced at 25° were not as proficient in mating.’
- ‘The minerals are passed on in a sperm packet during mating, to enrich the eggs.’
- ‘When not engaged in territorial behaviors or mating, the winged adults forage great distances to prey on insects.’
- ‘Courtship and mating takes place from late winter to spring.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.