Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The part of mathematics concerned with the study of formal languages, formal reasoning, the nature of mathematical proof, provability of mathematical statements, computability, and other aspects of the foundations of mathematics.
- ‘His revolutionary new logic was the origin of modern mathematical logic - a field of import not only to abstract mathematics, but also to computer science and philosophy.’
- ‘He began to study mathematical logic and the theory of algorithms just before 1940.’
- ‘Inexorable mathematical logic forces the next step.’
- ‘Her work in mathematical logic was important in the development of the subject in Soviet Union.’
- ‘He then extended his father's work on associative algebras and worked on mathematical logic and set theory.’
- ‘He continued studying mathematical logic and made important contributions to it.’
- ‘Her doctoral thesis was on mathematical logic.’
- ‘During this period at Cambridge, Wittgenstein continued to work on the foundations of mathematics and also on mathematical logic.’
- ‘Mathematics and mathematical logic provide at least one important and, possibly simple, case.’
- ‘The actual implementation and mathematical logic behind backing up predicates is beyond the scope of this paper.’
- ‘She published papers on mathematical logic, recursive function theory, and theoretical computer science.’
- ‘Not only does this paper provide a mathematically rigorous articulation of several ideas that had been developing in earlier mathematical logic, it also presents foundations on which later logic could be built.’
- ‘There he began to get more involved in the study of mathematical logic.’
- ‘His work is of major importance in mathematical logic, recursion theory and in theoretical computer science.’
- ‘At this stage he was working on mathematical logic but things were not going well.’
- ‘He wanted to learn about groups, rings and fields, the foundations of mathematics and mathematical logic.’
- ‘Modern arguments are extremely technical, involving microbiology and mathematical logic.’
- ‘He worked on mathematical logic, in particular ordinal numbers, recursive arithmetic, analysis, and the philosophy of mathematics.’
- ‘In formal mathematical logic, one makes frequent use of the existential and universal quantifiers.’
- ‘They are the basis of mathematical logic, which in turn gives rise to Boolean algebra.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.