One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of rock music characterized by complex rhythmic and instrumental patterns.‘they've earned a reputation for mixing high-energy math rock with a modern take on 90s Britpop’
- ‘His mystifying style owes as much to African guitar as it does to the double-edged genre of math rock.’
- ‘Avowed influences include everything from The B52s to math rock by way of straight-up punk.’
- ‘A math rock ethic is transposed into the distorted modern lo-fi sounds of Lee's guitar work.’
- ‘As talented as guitarist Seim and drummer Hill are, the type of math rock they purvey has been done by bands both better and worse many times over.’
- ‘Their debut, self-titled album is a mammoth fusion of metal, prog-rock, jazz, and math rock.’
- ‘Grungey if intelligent indie meets spiked math rock, and unexpectedly this really works.’
- ‘Their music uses splashes of standard rock chord changes, angular math rock melodic counterpoints, and punk's thrashy nihilism.’
- ‘But fans of math rock might not find us as jarring as most bands in the genre are.’
- ‘If I ever met a hardcore female fan of Chicago-style math rock, I'd marry her on the spot.’
- ‘Math rock rarely has sounded as tuneful as this.’
- ‘Forging ahead in the wake of post rock, math rock, indie rock, and punk rock must be a hard thing to do for a band.’
1990s: from math + rock (noun).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.