One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘While the politics of maternalist welfare, and the policies adopted, varied from one country to another, the overall trend was toward extensive state aid and propaganda designed to promote motherhood.’
- ‘Middle class and elite women with maternalist goals were more concerned about the moral than the physical safety of young women and believed that domestic service provided a safe space for young women (They also needed servants).’
- ‘The exaltation of family is consistent with the maternalist tendency to conceive of women as mothers, defined by their roles in a family structure.’
- ‘Other women (such as women printers) opposed any sort of maternalist legislation that may have dictated the terms of their employment.’
- ‘In France as in England, maternalist rationales celebrated feminine traits to maintain and extend women's place in school inspection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.