Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A noncommissioned officer in the US Marine Corps ranking above master sergeant and below sergeant major.
- ‘On September 29,1925,he enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps at 17 years of age and retired as a Master Gunnery Sergeant on February 6,1946.’
- ‘The First Sergeant and Sergeant Major are administrative and command track, while the Master Sergeant and Master Gunnery Sergeant are on the technical experts command track.’
- ‘The Marine Band, dubbed ‘The President's Own’ by President Jefferson, has 143 enlisted members, of which 49 are staff sergeants, 44 are gunnery sergeants, 27 master sergeants and 23 master gunnery sergeants, she said.’
- ‘There are a multitude of master gunnery sergeants throughout the Corps who have exceptional leadership skills and ideas along with suggestions that could be beneficial to the Corps.’
- ‘Her promotion to master gunnery sergeant made her the first woman of her rank in this military occupational specialty.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.