Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A noncommissioned officer in the US Navy or Coast Guard ranking above senior chief petty officer and below warrant officer.
- ‘The FY01 E - 9 board reported selection opportunity at 17.7 percent, up from 14.4 percent last year; 597 Sailors were selected for advancement to master chief petty officer.’
- ‘This is, and always has been, one of the most important roles we fulfill as chief, senior chief and master chief petty officers.’
- ‘Most importantly, these changes give junior Sailors more incentive to rise through the enlisted ranks and attain what only 1 percent of our Navy has reached - master chief petty officer.’
- ‘‘It must be terrifically damp, dark and cold,’ said Steve, a retired US Navy master chief petty officer who served on three submarines from 1973-93.’
- ‘The Navy's 3,400 master chief petty officers will become the first Sailors to be detailed using Web-based technology beginning in September.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.