Consisting of a large mass; bulky; massive.‘a round massy table’
large, sizeable, of considerable size, substantial, considerable, great, huge, immense, enormous, extensive, colossal, massive, mammoth, vast, prodigious, tremendous, gigantic, giant, monumental, mighty, stupendous, gargantuan, elephantine, titanic, epic, mountainous, megalithic, monstrous, brobdingnagianView synonyms
- ‘The party crossed the border into Scotland on August 1st, 1503, to be greeted by the Archbishop of Glasgow and a thousand Scottish lords and gentlemen ‘in rich jewels and massy chains’.’
- ‘The courtiers, having entered brought furnaces and massy hammers and welded the bolts.’
- ‘Like a razor also, it seemed massy and heavy, tapering from the edge into a solid and broad structure above.’
- ‘At the first dawn of the morning we closed all the massy shutters of our old building; lighted a couple of tapers which, strongly perfumed, threw out only the ghastliest and feeblest of rays.’
- ‘Internally, the building was full of timber columns, because it was owned by the royal bedmakers, and the British royal family likes its beds solid and massy.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.