Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small North American rattlesnake of variable color that favors damp habitats.
- ‘The massasauga can be characterized as a shy, sluggish snake.’
- ‘They may be preyed upon by larger animals, such as large owls, coyotes, or large snakes, such as eastern massasauga rattlesnakes.’
- ‘Behind glass, loll the snakes: timber rattlers, pygmy rattlers, desert massasauga rattlers, and most of the other 32 rattlesnake species known to inhabit the United States.’
- ‘Some wildlife enthusiasts are worried about the possible disappearance of the massasauga, the only poisonous snake in the state.’
- ‘Even though you may have never seen the eastern massasauga, if it were called "swamp rattler" you would get a very vivid picture of this animal.’
Mid 19th century: formed irregularly from Mississauga.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.