Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small North American rattlesnake of variable color which favors damp habitats.
- ‘They may be preyed upon by larger animals, such as large owls, coyotes, or large snakes, such as eastern massasauga rattlesnakes.’
- ‘Some wildlife enthusiasts are worried about the possible disappearance of the massasauga, the only poisonous snake in the state.’
- ‘Behind glass, loll the snakes: timber rattlers, pygmy rattlers, desert massasauga rattlers, and most of the other 32 rattlesnake species known to inhabit the United States.’
- ‘Even though you may have never seen the eastern massasauga, if it were called "swamp rattler" you would get a very vivid picture of this animal.’
- ‘The massasauga can be characterized as a shy, sluggish snake.’
Mid 19th century: formed irregularly from Mississauga.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.