One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A solitary bee that nests in cavities within which it constructs cells of sand and other particles glued together with saliva.
Osmia and other genera, family Apidae
- ‘We investigated the effects of distance and flower density of two flower species on pollen collection by providing nest locations for the mason bee Osmia lignaria in natural settings.’
- ‘Here, beekeepers in a Herefordshire, England, orchard use smoke to subdue a hive, mostly likely a species of mason bee.’
- ‘It's easy to make a mason bee house by drilling holes into a block of untreated wood.’
- ‘Supplement them by hanging up bat houses, birdhouses, and orchard mason bee homes (blocks of wood drilled with holes).’
- ‘Red mason bees are particularly good for pollinating fruit trees.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.