One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Mix or combine two or more different elements.‘in my films I've always tried to artfully mash up genres’‘Dinsdale mashes up dance styles like UK garage, house, and hip-hop with masterful aplomb’
- ‘Mashing up the superhero genre with the high school comedy, Mike Mitchell's Sky High is the kind of movie Disney should produce more often.’
- ‘Director Adrian Lyne mashes up motifs from some of his past films, most notably 9 1/2 weeks, Flashdance and Fatal Attraction.’
- ‘That would help scientists and students gain easy access to the latest research data, and help websites that mash up material from a variety of sources.’
- ‘As one third of the mix and blend crew he's most at home mashing up the styles to produce a sound 100% his own.’
- ‘Matthew has mashed up Google Maps with the National Rail website to create Vaguely live train maps.’
- ‘The London-born outfit emerged a few years ago and have spent their time since then mashing up an eclectic set of influences in a sound which can best be described as thrilling.’
- ‘They toyed with Afro-Brazilian hoo-hah for a good few years before they started mashing up ragga, noise, punk, and R&B.’
- ‘Future functionality will include the ability to mash up the softphone with webcams, Meebo, Flickr, etc.’
- ‘In the late '60s, while Chicano rock was rising on the West Coast, the Big Apple's NuYorican scene was mashing up Motown and mambos.’
- ‘The second full-length disc from The Cooper Temple Clause finds them continuing to mash up rock, grunge and electronica with healthy abandon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.