One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A letter that expresses infatuation with or gushing appreciation of someone.
- ‘Last week, when I wrote about the "mash note" I'd received, I didn't actually have it in front of me.’
- ‘For these, the brothers have sent a mash note in a language every geek can understand.’
- ‘Equal parts biography, sociology text, and mash note, it is the most complete account yet of his influence on pop music and a fervent memoir of fandom.’
- ‘Banks and insurance offices value the gravitas the old-world hardware lends, while power-suited yuppies use the tubes to send mash notes to their girlfriends.’
- ‘A friend and I were reading a recent article in the New York Times that made mention of a mash note.’
- ‘In return, users can post a brief mash note above the career numbers of their favorite player in baseball history.’
- ‘Each young man, on identical sheets of paper, sends what is in effect a mash note.’
- ‘Why have you not been answering my mash notes of late?’
- ‘He recently launched a site where people can write mash notes about their favorite brands.’
- ‘Nearly a million people were downloading each episode every Friday, writing mash notes to the creators and asking if they could buy a DVD of the collected episodes.’
- ‘We are outrageously sentimental, giving each other pet names, mash notes and flowers, and doing all sorts of things too silly to tell anyone else.’
- ‘The novel opens with William sending Emily a shy, exploratory mash note.’
- ‘Geeks swooned over her and began posting frantic mash notes on discussion boards planetwide.’
- ‘Please, someone explain to me once again why this guy gets paid to write mash notes and I'm still giving my words out for free.’
- ‘Attributed to no one, the words appeared in a prominent mash note about machinery of death from the New York Times, a newspaper that's supposed to epitomize the highest journalistic standards.’
Late 19th century: from slang mash (see masher) + note.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.