One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Characterized by or denoting attitudes or values held to be typical of men.‘masculinist language’
- ‘Violence against women is a complex issue as it is rooted in masculinist structures of power.’
- ‘Rather, a masculinist workplace culture that rewards long hours and values competitiveness, individualism and instrumentality excludes those people that want a life outside work, whatever their gender.’
- ‘What, then, is one to think about his language, masculinist in its assumptions from beginning to end?’
- ‘Even gay fashions have become more masculinist.’
- ‘Doing a quick Google search I found at least 5 Australian studies and many more international studies that discredit such claims, or are highly critical of the masculinist discourse, which often tips into misogyny.’
- ‘It has been a profoundly masculinist culture, in ways that decades of violence could only reinforce.’
- ‘With that term, he linked the violence of masculinist power struggles with the Western tradition's prioritization of truth.’
- ‘Social reproduction of masculinist violence gains transmission through gender-class, and reproduces unending trauma in its women victims.’
- ‘Yet I was ultimately left unsatisfied with these means of ‘negotiating’ the masculinist bias in this text.’
- ‘Many of them write humour because they see it as the one way of entering a masculinist preserve.’
- ‘This multiplicity of perspectives is necessary to my critique of the masculinist models of critical pedagogy and is an important step toward a revised critical-feminist praxis.’
- ‘The newly unified German parliament replicated the same masculinist pattern, celebrating its debut with less than 10 percent women representatives.’
- ‘Moreover, the masculinist assumptions of human rights language have already been noted, and feminists have been critical of articles in the various Declarations and Covenants which assume traditional gender roles.’
- ‘For instance, militarist governments often endorse masculinist ideologies that define men as warriors, promoting a culture of violence that spills over into violence against women on the streets and in the home.’
- ‘Remote from his own image as a masculinist writer, these personae, while liberating his imagination, meaningfully harken back to antique notions of the fundamentally androgynous nature of creativity.’
- ‘The men benefit from a similar freedom to remake themselves outside masculinist stereotypes thus showing that the roles ascribed by any culture to beasts, men, and women are not fixed and immutable but open to negotiation.’
- ‘Even though they opened doors for other women of their class, the endeavors of these elite women intellectuals did not substantially alter the masculinist narrations of the nation nor the reading of their own work as feminine.’
- ‘I want to resist masculinist values, not to blend in to the professions and processions of men that Virginia Woolf warns against.’
- ‘By presenting this sexuality/intellect as a burning illumination with both destructive potential and the capacity to enrapture and inspire, she revalues masculinist views of women's powers and passions.’
- ‘He suddenly notices that the local women are gazing at him gazing, and, it is in this moment of visual inversion that the ‘satisfaction of the racist, masculinist gaze’ gets deflated and denied.’
- 1.1 Relating to the advocacy of the rights or needs of men.
An advocate of the rights or needs of men.
- ‘The attack upon masculinists is not unique to Canada.’
- ‘The report itself seems concerned that naive journalists are being ‘fed information’ by masculinists.’
- ‘The construction of male and female gender roles was masculinist in nature.’
- ‘Many masculinists feel that feminist ideology hurts not just men, but also women and children-that, for example, feminist efforts to keep fathers from children hurt children, women and men.’
- ‘Feminist voices in the social sciences unconsciously echo this masculinist will to power in its relation to non-Western societies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.