One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cosmetic for darkening and thickening the eyelashes.
cosmetics, greasepaintView synonyms
- ‘There is a flush of blusher on her cheekbones, mascara outlining her eyes and a hint of pink lipstick.’
- ‘My eyes had a light coating of mascara and some eyeliner applied, but that was as far as I was going with makeup.’
- ‘She wore a bit of mascara, blush, and lipstick and her hair was curled and clipped back.’
- ‘She wears too much makeup and her black mascara and eyeliner smudges all over her face.’
- ‘Her black eyeliner and mascara was running and she knew she looked horrible.’
- ‘My hair was tied up in a ponytail with a ribbon, and my face looked fresh with lip gloss and mascara.’
- ‘I had foolishly not put on waterproof mascara either, not expecting to need it!’
- ‘She stood in front of the mirror and applied mascara and kohl to her eyes, blinking a few times.’
- ‘When you apply mascara, use eyelash curlers or your ring finger to gently push the lashes upwards for extra curl.’
- ‘Open bottles of nail polish sat on a nightstand, next to uncapped lipsticks, eye shadows, and mascara.’
- ‘I put on my blue army bandanna in the bathroom along with my mascara, eyeliner and lip-gloss.’
- ‘This helps you to fix any last minute smudging from mascara or eyeliner under the eyes.’
- ‘Glossy, coiffed locks, mascara and lipstick are key elements, as are sunglasses and silk scarves.’
- ‘Lengthening and thickening mascaras, shimmery lip glosses and shadows often take away the attention of the cheeks.’
- ‘She touched up her powder and mascara then took a good look at herself in the mirror.’
- ‘Smear it over the entire eyelid with your fingertips, then add black mascara and eye pencil along the upper lash line.’
- ‘She applied her mascara, and eyeliner then moved on to her clear lip gloss.’
- ‘Heavy eyeliner and mascara shadowed her dark brown eyes that were void of any emotion.’
- ‘Her hair was tangled at the moment and her eyes were flooded by mascara and eyeliner.’
- ‘Thick red lipstick was plastered on her full lips that matched with the blue eye shadow and thick mascara.’
Late 19th century: from Italian, literally ‘mask’, from Arabic masḵara ‘buffoon’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.