One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
St. Martin's Day, November 11.
- ‘It is not related to any particular religious festival but coincides with the Hindu festival of lights, Diwali, and the Christian festival of Martinmas.’
- ‘These days, the equivalent dates in Scotland are Martinmas, Candlemas, Whitsunday and Lammas.’
- ‘Early Tudor literary references to the celebration and the ambience of Martinmas are few but telling.’
- ‘This essay will explore both the feast and the season of Martinmas as interdependent phenomena, both under the aegis of the great bishop of Tours.’
- ‘And from Martinmas until Easter he must lie at his lord's fold as often as it is his turn.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.