One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cocktail made from gin (or vodka) and dry vermouth, typically garnished with an olive or a twist of lemon.
- ‘The space is for fine dining from 7.30 pm until 11 pm after which it turns into a club-lounge where Martinis and Manhattans flow like desert wine and the glamorous hit the dance floor.’
- ‘Plush, elegant and refined, its patrons get to lounge in fine leather chairs sipping Champagne specials or fruity Martinis while imagining what life was like in the Belle Epoque.’
- ‘There's still a demand for new and different types of Martinis.’
- ‘We sell more Cuervo Gold Margaritas and house Martinis from our own cocktail list than anything.’
- ‘We ordered a few Martinis which were promptly delivered (in frozen glasses) by the friendliest waiter I have ever encountered…’
- ‘In combinations that may make purists shudder, cordials are more popular than ever as featured ingredients in mainstream Martinis and Margaritas.’
- ‘Other's enjoy their Martinis poured with gin into a glass in the shadow of the vermouth bottle.’
- ‘It's just what they are used to - some people drink Martinis all the way through the meal!’
- ‘Other restaurants around the country are mixing it up with Martinis and other cocktails.’
- ‘Today, the fight is to be noticed, and Margaritas, Mojitos, and Martinis are the beverage weapons of choice.’
- ‘But much as I like Martinis, Manhattans and Negronis, there are several reasons I find myself returning to the sweet and sour category of drinks.’
- ‘Hot drinks aren't as likely to sell on their own as more familiar cocktails like Martinis.’
- ‘In the left-hand corner, behind the front door, a gaggle of New York ladies sipping gins and Martinis are deep in some conspiratorial gossip.’
- ‘Because it has so many different types of Martinis, six different Martini glasses are kept on hand, including one with a Z-shaped stem and another with a beaded stem.’
- ‘Just as some prefer their Martinis dry, others want more vermouth flavor.’
- ‘Wine and champagne are popular with the post-work suits who pack in after six, but uniformed staff make great Martinis and Mojitos at any time which is what the hip and cool late nighters tend to drink.’
- ‘The two-unit operation is known for its Martinis, but has a respectable beer list with eight draft and 35 bottled beers.’
- ‘We sell a lot of Martinis, they're extremely popular.’
- ‘And the cocktails - well I have to say the Martinis are just great - lovingly made and tasty.’
- ‘For example, operators report a decline in bottled beer sales, but strong growth in Martinis.’
Late 19th century: named after Martini and Rossi, an Italian firm selling vermouth.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.