One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A native or inhabitant of the Marshall Islands.
- ‘Long before modern day navigational instruments were brought to the Marshallese, they travelled the ocean, maintained courses and determined positions of islands by the use of wave patterns.’
- ‘I was one of the few Marshallese allowed in because I delivered construction materials.’
- ‘When, after a year, nothing came of their petition, many of the Marshallese, true to their word, sailed back to their homes in the mid-corridor on the day a missile launch was scheduled.’
- ‘Imposed economic dependency resulted in the Marshallese accepting a Compact of Free Association.’
- ‘The Marshallese are of Micronesian origin and migrated from Asia several thousand years ago.’
2The Micronesian language of the Marshall Islands.
- ‘All residents speak Marshallese, an Austronesian language that shares numerous affinities with other Pacific languages, particularly those of eastern Micronesia.’
- ‘We were not supposed to eat the coconut crabs because they were radioactive or "poison" as we say in Marshallese.’
- ‘In Marshallese and Yapese, spelling reforms promulgated in the early 1970s have yet to take hold.’
- ‘My 6th grader had well-developed language skills in Marshallese and English when we moved here, and so had no problem maintaining both.’
- ‘If you are proficient in Greek, Somali, Macedonian, or Marshallese, and have experience translating, please contact our Translations Coordinator’
Relating to the Marshall Islands, their inhabitants, or their language.
- ‘After the catamaran trip, Chen was interviewed by local Marshallese reporters.’
- ‘Both kinds of maps highlight the culturally salient features of the Marshallese seascape - which, from a Western perspective, represent a truly unique way of modeling the world.’
- ‘Springdale is home to the largest community of Marshallese people outside of the Marshall Islands.’
- ‘At the excavation site, the identification lab's team - augmented with volunteers and paid Marshallese laborers - happily greeted the pair.’
- ‘Sharing with family and friends, a warm welcome for the stranger, and caring consideration for others are values inherent to the Marshallese culture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.