Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in a culture where arranged marriages are customary) a person who arranges marriages for a fee.
- ‘There was a time when the search for a bride or bridegroom necessarily involved the services of the local marriage broker with a photo album tucked under his arm.’
- ‘Marriages were arranged by family members or professional marriage brokers.’
- ‘That film's dizzy dancer has metamorphosised into a beauteous marriage broker.’
- ‘Though there are marriage brokers their charges are exorbitant and sometimes they may fail in their attempts,’ he said.’
- ‘Disappointed by this development, the marriage broker attending their meeting tells Norman he must retract the ‘61 per cent probability of success’ he had calculated for the couple.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.