(in a culture where arranged marriages are customary) a person who arranges marriages for a fee.
- ‘There was a time when the search for a bride or bridegroom necessarily involved the services of the local marriage broker with a photo album tucked under his arm.’
- ‘Marriages were arranged by family members or professional marriage brokers.’
- ‘That film's dizzy dancer has metamorphosised into a beauteous marriage broker.’
- ‘Though there are marriage brokers their charges are exorbitant and sometimes they may fail in their attempts,’ he said.’
- ‘Disappointed by this development, the marriage broker attending their meeting tells Norman he must retract the ‘61 per cent probability of success’ he had calculated for the couple.’