One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in medieval Spain) a Christianized Jew or Moor, especially one who merely professed conversion in order to avoid persecution.
- ‘On Yom Kippur the Marranos would ‘gather in their caves and pour out their pleas to God to forgive them their false vows.’’
- ‘Miguel is of Marrano background: Jews forcibly converted to Catholicism in Portugal and Spain who nonetheless kept Jewish custom and belief alive in secret observance.’
- ‘She started researching her family history and concluded that her ancestors were Marranos, or Sephardic Jews, who had fled the Inquisition in Spain and in Mexico more than four centuries ago.’
- ‘The Marranos (Iberian Jews officially converted to Christianity) secretly celebrating Passover in their attic behave as holdouts from another age.’
- ‘As a child, I heard references to the Marranos, the hidden Jews of Spain.’
Spanish, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.