One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A native or inhabitant of the Marquesas Islands, especially a member of the aboriginal Polynesian inhabitants.
- ‘Sexuality had a conspicuous place in the social life of the Marquesans.’
- ‘Noel was a large Marquesan with many, many tattoos.’
- ‘They divided childhood into only three stages, as did Ifaluk parents on the other side of the world, while Marquesans did not differentiate among ‘kids’ at all until the sexually active stage.’
- ‘Facial tattoos appear in the first European drawing of a Marquesan, a chief, in red chalk.’
- ‘The thought of death, I have said, is uppermost in the mind of the Marquesan.’
2The Polynesian language of the Marquesans.
- ‘They spoke Marquesan and French so we didn't understand most of their chatter.’
- ‘Though there are people on Ua Pou who have never left the island and speak only Marquesan, most of these folks spoke Marquesan, Tahitian and French.’
- ‘An expert with several books on the Marquesas to his credit, he speaks Marquesan, French, German, and Russian and has many friends on the islands.’
- ‘Within a span of six months he no longer needed help and was speaking Marquesan.’
Relating to the Marquesans or their language.
- ‘Taste is the enemy of creativeness,’ said Picasso, who acquired his first Marquesan tiki in 1910 and later filled his art studio with tikis and other primitive carvings.’
- ‘The work he examines is not the entire corpus of Marquesan art (which, of course, is still being added to) but the limited set of motifs illustrated in Karl von den Steinen's three-volume The Marquesaners and their art, published in 1925.’
- ‘This fine repository of culture - from the first Marquesan arrivals of some 1500 years ago, through to the polyglot immigrant cultures that today make up Hawaii's rainbow complexion - briefly restores my faith in authenticity.’
- ‘Suspicions were cast over two Maori flutes and a pair of Marquesan stilt steps he had purchased.’
- ‘In the exhibition book, the author discreetly touches on the decimation of the Marquesan population that followed contacts with European travelers.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.