One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman skilled in shooting, especially with a pistol or rifle.
marksman, shooter, riflemanView synonyms
- ‘Annie Oakley, a survivor of battery, whipping, torture, starving, freezing, and repeated, brutal rape at the hands of a foster father, became internationally famous for her skill as a markswoman.’
- ‘The desire to have such equipment in Orkney was prompted by the success of the visually impaired markswoman.’
- ‘Her silver medal in three-position rifle at the 1976 Olympic Games made her the first markswoman in history to win an Olympic medal.’
- ‘My favorite video shows a competitive markswoman whose response to the e-mail was to shoot it up.’
- ‘Moments earlier, Cashel's ace markswoman had pointed an equaliser and it seemed a replay beckoned.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.