One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stochastic model describing a sequence of possible events in which the probability of each event depends only on the state attained in the previous event.
- ‘He applied a technique involving so-called Markov chains to calculate the required probabilities over the course of a long game with many battles.’
- ‘Like the previously discussed models, Markov models have serious limitations.’
- ‘Ecologists have used simple diffusion, correlated random walk, and Markov chain models to describe dispersal data for various insects.’
- ‘This model represents a Markov chain in which each state is interpreted as the probability that the switch complex is in the corresponding state.’
- ‘He also took up new topics, writing several papers on probability theory, in particular on Markov chains.’
1930s: named after Andrei A. Markov (1856–1922), Russian mathematician.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.