One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A town of moderate size in a rural area, where a regular market is held.
- ‘As well as the riot in Aba there are reports of tensions in the neighbouring city of Owerri and the market town of Onitsha.’
- ‘Improvements to the economy and quality of life for a chain of Ryedale villages and the market town of Pickering is on the drawing board.’
- ‘Barnsley has a unique selling point and that is its position as a market town.’
- ‘It is a shame that if Otley is portrayed as a quaint market town, the first port of call for locals and visitors doesn't say much for it.’
- ‘It also spent £5m a year with local suppliers, so it was an important factor in the market town's economy.’
- ‘I believed that as Skipton is an historic market town, any new buildings or changes had to blend into the existing environment.’
- ‘She attends writing classes for both short stories and novels and has completed two of her own novels, one of which is a murder story set in a market town.’
- ‘You see, this hotel is in a provincial market town, somewhere in the home counties.’
- ‘The cost of most excursions was not cheap, especially when an event was held in a small market town some way from large centres of population.’
- ‘On the surface there might not be much in common between a large seaside tourist resort and a market town on the edge of the Dales.’
- ‘The European grant will be split between the High Peak and the Derbyshire Dales and it will include the market town of Bakewell.’
- ‘On all major roads leading into this town are signs boldly identifying Skipton as an historic market town.’
- ‘The market town of Richmond stands as the gateway to Swaledale.’
- ‘Now the Folly in the Dales market town of Settle is set to become a museum and visitor centre dedicated to the history of north Craven.’
- ‘This is what is happening to the Welsh market town of Brecon.’
- ‘The pleasant market town of Ulverston lies just south of the Lake District National Park boundary.’
- ‘Stop off in an ancient market town such as Lille, only an hour from Calais, for a taste of northern French cuisine.’
- ‘Also, there would be a loss of vital car parking, surely a market town such as Settle needs to retain this.’
- ‘The market town could also see its first multi-storey car park and a new cultural centre established within the next ten years.’
- ‘Others who are keen to flee suburbia aspire to live in a market town, head for the coast, or really get away from it in rural isolation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.