One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A town of moderate size in a rural area, where a regular market is held.
- ‘The pleasant market town of Ulverston lies just south of the Lake District National Park boundary.’
- ‘This is what is happening to the Welsh market town of Brecon.’
- ‘As well as the riot in Aba there are reports of tensions in the neighbouring city of Owerri and the market town of Onitsha.’
- ‘On the surface there might not be much in common between a large seaside tourist resort and a market town on the edge of the Dales.’
- ‘Barnsley has a unique selling point and that is its position as a market town.’
- ‘Others who are keen to flee suburbia aspire to live in a market town, head for the coast, or really get away from it in rural isolation.’
- ‘I believed that as Skipton is an historic market town, any new buildings or changes had to blend into the existing environment.’
- ‘It is a shame that if Otley is portrayed as a quaint market town, the first port of call for locals and visitors doesn't say much for it.’
- ‘It also spent £5m a year with local suppliers, so it was an important factor in the market town's economy.’
- ‘The market town of Richmond stands as the gateway to Swaledale.’
- ‘Now the Folly in the Dales market town of Settle is set to become a museum and visitor centre dedicated to the history of north Craven.’
- ‘The cost of most excursions was not cheap, especially when an event was held in a small market town some way from large centres of population.’
- ‘Stop off in an ancient market town such as Lille, only an hour from Calais, for a taste of northern French cuisine.’
- ‘On all major roads leading into this town are signs boldly identifying Skipton as an historic market town.’
- ‘You see, this hotel is in a provincial market town, somewhere in the home counties.’
- ‘She attends writing classes for both short stories and novels and has completed two of her own novels, one of which is a murder story set in a market town.’
- ‘Improvements to the economy and quality of life for a chain of Ryedale villages and the market town of Pickering is on the drawing board.’
- ‘The market town could also see its first multi-storey car park and a new cultural centre established within the next ten years.’
- ‘The European grant will be split between the High Peak and the Derbyshire Dales and it will include the market town of Bakewell.’
- ‘Also, there would be a loss of vital car parking, surely a market town such as Settle needs to retain this.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.