One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Cannabis, especially as smoked or consumed as a psychoactive (mind-altering) drug.
cannabis, hashish, bhang, hemp, kef, kif, charas, ganja, sinsemillaView synonyms
- ‘Just smile, sample her medicinal marijuana, and listen to the story that must be told.’
- ‘I truly believe this one and people should watch out for this when they smoke marijuana.’
- ‘He alleges as well that the wife smokes marijuana frequently in the matrimonial home.’
- ‘One thing I do have against marijuana though is that if you smoke it habitually you become very, very boring!’
- ‘So why then does the government insist to ignore the medical value of marijuana?’
- ‘There'd be no reason to abuse medical use of marijuana if the stuff was legalized.’
- ‘You may have heard it called marijuana, weed or hash but it is still cannabis, a natural drug that comes from a plant.’
- ‘More is known about the adverse effects and therapeutic uses of marihuana than about most prescription drugs.’
- ‘We know he smoked marijuana, but he's hardly an exemplar of the Ken Kesey LSD generation.’
- ‘So, with the facts in place, how can the government ignore them any longer and keep marijuana illegal?’
- ‘He was smoking some exceptionally strong marijuana, and appeared to be quite enlightened at times.’
- ‘We were smoking marijuana for breakfast and that led to communication problems.’
- ‘Then, on the way back across the border he was caught with marijuana, but never charged.’
- ‘Two others pleaded not guilty to possession of four buckets of compressed marijuana.’
- ‘I believe that it should be another misdemeanor to smoke marijuana under the age of 21.’
- ‘However, it has been nearly a century since marijuana was first made illegal in Canada.’
- ‘That document concluded that marihuana was a drug whose use should not call for serious criminal penalties.’
- ‘He conceded that he smokes the marihuana not only to keep calm, but to deal with society and authority figures.’
- ‘The player skirts claims that he has had his own problems with cocaine and marijuana.’
- ‘It is grown to produce the narcotic drugs hashish and marijuana, made primarily from its female flowers.’
Late 19th century: from Latin American Spanish.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.