One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A carnival held in some countries on Shrove Tuesday, most famously in New Orleans.as modifier ‘the Mardi Gras parade’
- ‘No, actually, it's a Mardi Gras king cake, which my attorney was kind enough to send to my office Friday.’
- ‘They also have their eyes on ‘a stunning 1500 capacity venue in a secret location’ for a Mardi Gras party, apparently.’
- ‘Second place went to the Copmanthorpe Pre-School Playgroup for its rain forest-themed float and the Temple Lane Playgroup came third with its float which had a Mardi Gras theme.’
- ‘He had on some Mardi Gras beads, but his lips stood out the most… considering he had on really bright red lipgloss.’
- ‘Back then, he was wearing the handsome uniform of the Fairfield (S.C.) Central High School marching band as part of a Mardi Gras parade.’
- ‘They always had a Mardi Gras drink called the Hurricane.’
- ‘A traditional King Cake will be served, and whoever gets the piece containing a bean will win a CD, a drink and a Mardi Gras crown.’
- ‘The Grand Marshals shows a dapper older couple riding on a Mardi Gras float.’
- ‘Stanley mocks her more by telling her that her outfit is a Mardi Gras costume.’
- ‘The loping interplay of euphonium, trumpet, sax and trombone on ‘Segala’, and the glorious swagger of Oblemou wouldn't sound out of place at a Mardi Gras in New Orleans.’
- ‘By the time the night of the dance arrived, Chub had acquired a Mardi Gras mask and an extra long raincoat to use as a costume.’
- ‘You've got yourself this Mardi Gras outfit and a whole sack of illusions.’
- ‘The museum stocks stuff like the necklace Britney wore in a Mardi Gras parade and two dresses from her Star Search days.’
- ‘A man on the traffic signal above us started beating a Mardi Gras rhythm on a pot.’
- ‘Officials say there will be a Mardi Gras in February.’
- ‘Yes, Virginia, there will be a Mardi Gras in New Orleans in 2006.’
French, literally ‘fat Tuesday’, alluding to the last day of feasting before the fast of Lent.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.