One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A carnival held in some countries on Shrove Tuesday, most famously in New Orleans.
- ‘They also have their eyes on ‘a stunning 1500 capacity venue in a secret location’ for a Mardi Gras party, apparently.’
- ‘Back then, he was wearing the handsome uniform of the Fairfield (S.C.) Central High School marching band as part of a Mardi Gras parade.’
- ‘A man on the traffic signal above us started beating a Mardi Gras rhythm on a pot.’
- ‘He had on some Mardi Gras beads, but his lips stood out the most… considering he had on really bright red lipgloss.’
- ‘The museum stocks stuff like the necklace Britney wore in a Mardi Gras parade and two dresses from her Star Search days.’
- ‘The loping interplay of euphonium, trumpet, sax and trombone on ‘Segala’, and the glorious swagger of Oblemou wouldn't sound out of place at a Mardi Gras in New Orleans.’
- ‘A traditional King Cake will be served, and whoever gets the piece containing a bean will win a CD, a drink and a Mardi Gras crown.’
- ‘They always had a Mardi Gras drink called the Hurricane.’
- ‘Officials say there will be a Mardi Gras in February.’
- ‘By the time the night of the dance arrived, Chub had acquired a Mardi Gras mask and an extra long raincoat to use as a costume.’
- ‘You've got yourself this Mardi Gras outfit and a whole sack of illusions.’
- ‘No, actually, it's a Mardi Gras king cake, which my attorney was kind enough to send to my office Friday.’
- ‘Stanley mocks her more by telling her that her outfit is a Mardi Gras costume.’
- ‘The Grand Marshals shows a dapper older couple riding on a Mardi Gras float.’
- ‘Second place went to the Copmanthorpe Pre-School Playgroup for its rain forest-themed float and the Temple Lane Playgroup came third with its float which had a Mardi Gras theme.’
- ‘Yes, Virginia, there will be a Mardi Gras in New Orleans in 2006.’
French, literally ‘fat Tuesday’, alluding to the last day of feasting before the fast of Lent.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.