One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(c.1254–c.1324), Italian traveler. With his father and uncle he traveled to China and the court of Kublai Khan via central Asia (1271–75). He eventually returned home (1292–95) via Sumatra, India, and Persia. His account of his travels spurred the European quest for the riches of the East.
A game of tag played in a swimming pool, lake, etc., in which one player, with eyes shut or blindfolded, tries to locate and catch the others by shouting “Marco” and listening to their response of “Polo”‘they play Marco Polo in the backyard pool’
- ‘I noticed the following sign displayed prominently on its fence: "No Marco Polo allowed in this pool."’
- ‘It has a waterproof design, which means it can repel everything from your stinky sweat to a good game of Marco Polo.’
- ‘Those 12-year-olds were playing one mean game of Marco Polo.’
- ‘From Marco Polo to Sharks and Minnows, these are the 10 tested, tried & true pool games we all played as kids.’
- ‘The game of Marco Polo, like a lot of childhood games, is both about finding a home and about catching prey.’
1960s: from Marco Polo (the reason is unclear).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.