Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The wife or widow of a marquess.
- ‘It was a year ago this very day that the marchioness miscarried the babe.’
- ‘His travelling companions included Ian Fleming's widow, Anne, and the marchioness of Dufferin.’
- ‘You did see the marchioness spill her drink on the countess.’
- ‘Will you tell anyone who asks that I felt ill and the marchioness accompanied me home?’
- ‘A month later the new marquis was without a marchioness; his wife Carolyn filed for divorce.’
- ‘The marchioness will be fine after a few days' rest.’
- ‘When he learned of her deed, Audubon wrote to his wife that the marchioness had pasted the birds ‘on the walls of one of her Superb Rooms.’’
- ‘Thanks to the major and minor arcana of good behaviour set out in the book, I am at no loss as to the correct order of precedence as to whether a marchioness or a viscount should be led into dinner first.’
- ‘The Science Show had two dedicated court reporters on call around the clock, 52 weeks a year (or 24/7 as it's now known), helicopters on standby and research teams analysing every royal nuance down to the lowliest marchioness.’
- ‘But to his critics his fondness for the marchioness of Londonderry looked like social climbing and a desire for acceptance by the establishment.’
- ‘They watched as the marquess and his new marchioness performed the extraordinary feat of holding their breath for some time.’
- ‘Now let's see if they are ready for the new marchioness.’
- ‘It was not often that a marchioness of France underwent the extraordinary question.’
- 1.1 A woman holding the rank of marquess in her own right.
Late 16th century: from medieval Latin marchionissa, feminine of marchio(n-) ruler of a border territory from marcha march (see march).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.