One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The Indic language spoken in the western Indian state of Maharashtra by about 68 million people.
- ‘And can also speak Gujarati, Parsi, English, Hindi and Marathi.’
- ‘The plays were in Hindi, English, Marathi and Gujarati.’
- ‘Besides, his novels have been translated in different languages such as Hindi, Marathi etc.’
- ‘However, most Congressmen who spoke Marathi insisted on a separate Maharashtra State.’
- ‘This segment of the festival had several local groups perform in four languages - English, Hindi, Marathi and Gujarati.’
- ‘It had only ‘Maharashtrian’ boys and naturally all the swayamsevaks used to speak only Marathi.’
- ‘Shantaram is set to be translated into Marathi this year.’
- ‘Kannada too has always borrowed from Sanskrit, Prakrit, Marathi, Parsi, Arabic, and so on at various points.’
- ‘Outside the area, the term Maratha loosely identifies people who speak Marathi.’
- ‘He filled his days with Hindustani, Marathi and Persian, passing army exams.’
- ‘Most of the officers I trained there speak only Marathi, a language spoken in Maharashtra.’
- ‘A versatile linguist, he has acted in every major regional language including Gujarati, Hindi, Marathi and Telegu.’
- ‘Once more the Elijah prayer is inscribed in Marathi (the local language used near Bombay) on the lower border of the image.’
- ‘I don't know modern young metropolitan women, I'd say we don't have any writers in Marathi who've written about them.’
- ‘It is a pleasant amalgam of Persian, Arabic, Marathi, and Hindustani with Konkani as its base.’
- ‘Nagarkar has written in Marathi and is firmly bilingual.’
- ‘Going forward, the channel proposes to beam programs in six languages, including Marathi.’
- ‘But he was unable to speak or write Marathi and fellow students taunted him.’
- ‘Telugu, Marathi, Hindi, Urdu and English are dear to him.’
- ‘Kannada films are sure to perish like Marathi, Oriya and others if other language films are not restricted.’
Marathi, from Marāṭhā Maratha.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.