Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An operation that associates each element of a given set (the domain) with one or more elements of a second set (the range)
- ‘He discovered characterisations of topological mappings of the Cartesian plane and a number of fixed point theorems.’
- ‘His doctoral thesis is an important contribution to conformal mappings of multiply connected plane domains.’
- ‘Another area which Suvorov worked on was the theory of conformal mappings and quasi-formal mappings.’
- ‘In his analysis of motion verbs, Langacker has focused, not on metaphorical mappings between domains, but on abstract conceptual structures which are schematic for different domains.’
- ‘He worked on the theory of continuous mappings of topological spaces.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.