Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Sugar produced by evaporating the sap of certain maples, especially the sugar maple.
- ‘The story is set not so far from where I was born, and the descriptions, from the still lake to the maple sugar… it made me want to return there.’
- ‘No sooner had she entered the kitchen then she returned with a tray full of steaming bowls of hot cereal with maple sugar, flapjacks, waffles, eggs and milk.’
- ‘Combine water, salt, maple sugar, cumin, coriander, chili and cinnamon; stir until salt and sugar are dissolved.’
- ‘I love, love, * love * maple syrup, and I'd never had maple sugar before, so I was very intrigued, and it's delicious!’
- ‘Place a crepe souffle on a parchment lined sheet pan and sprinkle maple sugar over the top.’
- ‘The aptly named sugar maple is the primary source of the sweet sap used to make maple syrup and maple sugar.’
- ‘Substitute half the amount of granulated sugar in your favorite shortbread recipe with an equivalent amount of maple sugar.’
- ‘Johnson elected to show the old-fashioned way of making maple sugar and did not acknowledge the labor-saving devices that were then available.’
- ‘They set small paper plates of blueberries, maple sugar, wild rice, and venison next to me as my spirit made ready to leave the body.’
- ‘In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the maple sugar, bread flour, melted butter, egg whites, and walnuts.’
- ‘We found enough trees in the three acres of woods around our house for a ‘sugarbush,’ as forests managed for maple sugar production are called.’
- ‘For example, bereaved relatives were not allowed to participate in food gathering until someone fed them the first wild rice or maple sugar of the season.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.