One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A tree or shrub with lobed leaves, winged fruits, and colorful autumn foliage, grown as an ornamental or for its timber or syrupy sap.
Genus Acer, family Aceraceae: many species, including the common European field maple (A. campestre), the North American sugar maple (A. saccharum), and the Japanese maple (A. palmatum), which has many cultivars
- ‘The hillsides are covered with maples and other foliage.’
- ‘Inside the rotunda are flowers, ivy and a single Japanese maple tree that provides shade for the graves.’
- ‘The gardens have very successfully combined Japanese species such as azaleas, maples and cherry trees with native plants such as Canadian maples and red cedars.’
- ‘Although Acer palmatum is the classic Japanese maple there are other maples from Japan with a similar degree of elegance.’
- ‘I was blown away - masses of dogwoods with striking blood red stems jostled with white-barked birch trees, snakeskin maples and much more.’
- ‘The beetles' affinity for certain trees, like maples, poplars, willows, and elms, is significant because such attractive species may be used as sentinel trees.’
- ‘If he finds these big structures, he probably has a broad-leaf tree such as a maple or oak instead of a pine or other conifer.’
- ‘Laurel oaks, maples, pecans and sweetgum trees don't do as well.’
- ‘The eggs were not laid until the last week of April, as the weather warmed up, serviceberry bloomed, and maples, poplars, birches, and beeches were leafing out.’
- ‘In addition to these, a laceleaf Japanese maple, a vine maple, blue oat grass, and other ornamentals cover the berm.’
- ‘It wasn't so much different from Utah, but for the fact that this had more maples and oaks than pine trees, and that it was absolutely flat.’
- ‘Among the others are tanoaks, California black oaks, Shreve's oaks, madrones, rhododendrons, manzanita, big leaf maples and bay laurels.’
- ‘Some deciduous trees, such as many maples and oaks, can be pruned to allow more light to reach the ground.’
- ‘At the end of the road, the view of nature is replaced by rows of small villas surrounded by colourful chrysanthemums and dark-red maples.’
- ‘Although set in 24 acres of land, extra measures have been taken to plant more oaks, sycamores, maples and horse chestnut trees to provide increased privacy.’
- ‘In the native forests of the Oregon Cascades hemlocks, cedars, maples, many fir and pine species, and others are intermingled among the dominant Douglas fir.’
- ‘Sugar maples, red maples, dogwood, sweet gum, black gum and sourwood can be brilliant red or yellow.’
- ‘The garden includes ferns, hydrangeas, irises, waterlilies, camellias, rhododendrons, Japanese maples and fuchsias.’
- ‘The answer lies in the tremendous diversity of deciduous trees: maples, oaks, sumacs and beech each impart their own range of colours to the overall palette.’
- ‘There was a chill in the air with winds from the not-so-distant fog harassing the prematurely yellowed leaves of maples.’
- 1.1US Maple syrup or maple sugar.
- ‘The meal included freshly baked bread, salad, omelettes, ham, sausages, maple baked beans and crêpes for dessert.’
- ‘The maple flavor is distinctly present and yummy.’
- ‘Stateline New England Barbeque Potato Chips offer a new taste by combining maple flavor with barbeque chips, but this is a marriage made in hell.’
- ‘I won't tell if you make a big cake, with chocolate and vanilla, and maple icing.’
- ‘They are all of equal quality, but the darker the syrup, the stronger the maple flavor.’
- ‘I slipped out of the house to make a grocery store run - maple sausages, eggs, toast, hash browns and Starbucks coffee.’
- ‘A sweet, heady rush of maple and fresh bread stormed across her tongue, with lemon and lime thrown in.’
- ‘One was chocolate glazed with sprinkles, another was maple glazed, and the last one was just a regular glazed doughnut.’
Old English mapel (as the first element of mapeltrēow, mapulder ‘maple tree’); used as an independent word from Middle English.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.