One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
workshop, workroom, plant, factory, works, manufacturing complex, industrial unit, business unit, mill, foundry, yard, garage, atelier, studioView synonyms
- ‘It was not in the contemplation of the parties [to the 1982 conveyance] that the bakery would cease to be used as a manufactory.’
- ‘The rare porcelain coffeepot augments the museum's extensive holdings of porcelain made by the Tucker manufactory in Philadelphia, one of the first in the United States.’
- ‘The count had set up his manufactory on the site of an earlier factory where earthenware had been made for about two years.’
- ‘At Sevres, where the manufactory moved in 1756, some apprentices were accepted at the ages of nine or ten if they showed artistic ability, but they did not receive a wage until they were sixteen.’
- ‘The workshops and manufactories became breeding grounds for radical ideas to take hold.’
Early 17th century (denoting a manufactured article): from manufacture, on the pattern of factory.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.