One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A test for immunity to tuberculosis using intradermal injection of tuberculin.
- ‘The controls were selected from the medical outpatient department based on normal haemogram, normal liver and renal function tests, a normal chest radiograph and a negative Mantoux test.’
- ‘The results of the Mantoux test may be falsely negative in severe malnutrition.’
- ‘Physicians should read the Mantoux test at 48 to 72 hours after application because parents and other lay persons do not have the ability to read the test results accurately.’
- ‘Results of a Mantoux test and sputum test for acid-fast bacilli were negative.’
- ‘The Mantoux test is the preferred tool to use for tuberculosis skin testing.’
1930s: named after Charles Mantoux (1877–1947), French physician.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.