Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A slender predatory insect related to the cockroach. It waits motionless for prey with its large spiky forelegs folded like hands in prayer.→ mantid
- ‘One mantis may be kept on its own as a pet and fed throughout the year.’
- ‘In The Temple of Doom, Indy walks through a chamber filled with mantises, beetles, worms, millipedes, moths, slugs, snails, and puppy dog tails.’
- ‘Middle Eastern people and Thais eat nearly all types of insect but foreigners tend to love the green mantis most.’
- ‘Like jackals around a tiger kill, small flies hovered around the feasting mantis, even daring to settle on its grotesque pea-like eyes.’
- ‘Instead of chemicals, their defense is based on ‘herds’ of preying mantises, scores of ladybugs, and armies of earthworms.’
- ‘The mantis will attack butterflies, bees, beetles, frogs, spiders, mice, lizards, and small birds.’
- ‘When the cicada attacked, the mantis angled to the side and then pinned the cicada with its powerful forearms.’
- ‘When Jerry comes in to interview the bed-bound man he looks like a preying mantis by comparison, as though the two men aren't even the same species.’
- ‘Belle is like a dark mantis sneaking in for the kill.’
- ‘Praying mantises, unlike other insects, do not eat plant life; they are the outstanding cannibals of the insect world and devour even members of their own family.’
- ‘Some insects also hunt down spiders, including the mantis and a wasp that specializes in catching and paralyzing spiders.’
- ‘The team has also found that 300 milliseconds before the bat hits the mantis, the insect's auditory nerve goes completely dead.’
- ‘The creatures look part stick insect, part mantis, with a touch of grasshopper.’
- ‘There is also a new predator - a South African preying mantis that grows far larger than the New Zealand native one.’
- ‘It looks like a preying mantis, has a huge hook to snare its prey and is coming to a rocky shoreline near you.’
- ‘In autumn children listen to singing insects, observe and play with red dragonflies, collect inago locusts, stage spider fights, watch mantises, and collect wasps' nests.’
- ‘The common European mantis is classified as Mantis religiosa, while the Carolina mantis is classified as Stagmonantis carolina.’
- ‘A newcomer could easily get lost in its tunnels, and the unwary is easy prey to predatory wasps or mantises.’
- ‘Spiders and butterflies and mantises, being pretty solitary for the most part, are easier to identify with.’
- ‘Perhaps they're a pair, I thought, and went indoors and fetched my mantis and placed him on the jasmine bush, opposite his fellow insect.’
Mid 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek, literally prophet.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.