One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a man) explain (something) to someone, typically a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing.‘I'm listening to a guy mansplain economics to his wife’‘your response is classic mansplaining’
- ‘He tries to mansplain it with a weak athlete analogy, but she cuts him short.’
- ‘For them to pretend that "diet culture" and "size zero" start and end within the exclusively female world of women's magazines is a massive pile of mansplaining, patronising nonsense.’
- ‘Don't mansplain female sexuality.’
- ‘Bravo, too, for the general misogynist stereotyping, victim blaming and general mansplaining.’
- ‘Where are we going to find someone to mansplain heterosexual lit?’
- ‘Leave it to him to mansplain why it's so bad having the women-folk working.’
- ‘Allow us to mansplain.’
- ‘How very sweet of him to offer to mansplain the budget to the dumb blonde who just got herself elected Senator.’
- ‘I was accused of "mansplaining" and of writing "a terrible article" that should never have been published.’
- ‘Can someone mansplain to me why the price of a Hershey bar was so weirdly stable until 1970?’
Early 21st century: blend of man and explain.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.